Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Pumpkin Seeds:
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt, Divided
- 1 Pound Brussels Sprouts, Trimmed and Halved
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Pumpkin Seeds, Cleaned
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Dry White Quinoa
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
Browned Butter Vinaigrette:
- 4 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Shallot
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Large Fuyu Persimmon, Quartered and Thinly Sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line two sheet pans with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Once thoroughly coated, spread them out in a single layer on one of the baking sheets. Separately, mix together the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and ground black pepper with the raw pumpkin seeds. Transfer to the second baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer as well. Move both sheets into the oven and bake, stirring after about 15 minutes, until the seeds are golden brown and the sprouts are fork-tender; about 20 - 25 minutes.
- To prepare the quinoa, begin by placing it in a dry skillet over medium heat. Saute, stirring frequently, for 3 - 5 minutes until golden brown and highly aromatic. Quickly pour in the stock to prevent it from burning, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, keeping it at a gentle simmer, for about 15 minutes. Once the grains have mostly absorbed the liquid, turn off the heat but keep the pot covered for another 10 minutes, allowing the quinoa to finish steaming.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the vegan butter over moderate heat until lightly browned and nutty-smelling, swirling the pan gently, for about 5 minutes. Transfer into a blender along with the shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the vinegar and lemon juice, blending until emulsified and thickened.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large serving bowl. Toss together with the roasted brussels sprouts, sliced persimmon, and vinaigrette. Once thoroughly combined and coated with dressing, top with toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve warm.
Recipe submitted by